Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Paleo- Mounds Bar Coffee Creamer

Since starting Paleo, coffee has been one thing for me that just isn't the same anymore. It's not that I like my coffee super sweet and almost white, it's just that black coffee is not the same as the lightly sweet and slightly creamy coffee I was drinking. Always been a shot of cream and maybe some sugar kind of girl.

I've been looking around, and I never quite find something that I want to try. While I don't have a problem eating raw eggs, I do have a problem eating them if they're been sitting luke-warm on my desk for hours. I pulled up a recipe I used to use all the time, and paleo-ified it. http://www.mrshappyhomemaker.com/2013/03/homemade-coffee-creamer-over-20-flavor-varieties/
I usually just melted dark chocolate into it, and after Paleo figured out how to make a good chocolate. Hence the oil being added. Without the oil, it doesn't taste very rich, and isn't very creamy.

I finally came up with one tonight, and it's pretty good. Still needs a little work, but it's tasty as is :).

1 c Coconut Milk (out of a carton, not 100% paleo, I know)
1/2 c Coconut Milk
1 t Tapioca Starch
2 T Honey
2 T Coco Powder
1/2 t Vanilla
1 T Coconut Oil

1. Put 1 c Milk in small saucepan over medium to medium low heat. Allow to simmer for 20-30 min until reduced by half.
2. In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 c Milk and Tapioca Starch.
3. After milk on the stove reduces by half, add the remaining milk, stirring well. Let come to boil and boil for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Whisk in remaining ingredients.
6. Taste for sweetness levels and adjust accordingly. Remember that it gets diluted in the coffee.
7. Store in fridge.

Makes about 1 c of Coffee Creamer. Not good for iced coffee because the coconut oil solidifies on the top, but it does work for a frappe ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment